Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Army Blog One: The Spawning Has Begun!

Yesterday I purchased two blisters of Nurglings, and over the last day I have put four bases together. They are all primed, and I have painted one. I will post pictures in a post later, but I am pretty satisfied with the results, considering it is the first Nurgle model I've ever painted. Prior to this model, I've only painted an Ork Killa Kan, and fifteen or so Ork Boyz. Beyond that, I've not painted a thing (not counting walls in my home).

I should be receiving the Codex: Chaos Daemons, some brushes, and a Greater Unclean One today or tomorrow. I also have a number of various Nurglesque bits coming from a bit shop on Ebay.

Using the in-store copy of Codex: Chaos Daemons at Imperial Outpost, I crafted the beginnings of my army. It is a five-hundred point army. Here it is:

HQ
Great Unclean One (w/Aura of Decay)
Troops
Plague Bearers (7)
Nurglings (6)
Heavy Support
Daemon Prince (w/Mark of Nurgle, Aura of Decay)

I have some brief ideas for the fluff. I am thinking something along the lines of a great human scientist/doctor/field medic that became obsessed with extending life through studying viruses and the way they are spread by insects, and evolve through this means. He eventually fell in with worshiping Nurgle, and became one of Nurgle's pride and joy's. This person began using Nurgle's Gifts to spread horrible diseases, one of which he unleashed upon his home world, which resulted in millions of deaths. Becoming infected himself, this man was saved by Nurgle and given immunity to diseases of all sorts. Over time, he was overcome with the gifts, and over the centuries of service to Nurgle, has evolved into a Daemon Prince. He commands (yes, I know the DP is a Heavy Support choice, but in my fluff, he is the leader) a small group of Daemons, traveling from world to world, spreading the gifts of Grandfather.



I want a unique model for him. I know it is basically impossible, but I am searching for non-GW models that I can use. I have found a few different ones, and am still deciding. I think I've found a very special one in Heresy Miniature's "The Tunnel Dweller." It fits the fluff I have in mind (insects, etc.) perfectly.