Saturday, May 10, 2008

My First Nurglings

I've finished up the first bit of my starting army of five hundred points. These four Nugling bases are the first Nurgle figures I've ever painted. My only prior painting experience is about fifteen Ork Boyz and a Killa Kan that I did way back in 2004 or so. I had recently read about dipping, and so wanted to try it out. I figured Nurgle stuff is perfect for it. I should also mention that I use, for the most part, Vallejo Game Color paints. They were recommended to my by Neal at The War Store. They have exact equivelents to Citadel paints, and come in an eyedropper bottle which is spill-proof. Also, they last forever basically. They sat in an Army Transport for almost four years, and when opened and shaken, they were perfectly fine just as they were when new. The two Citadel paints I had were dry as chalk. You can find a good chart about the Vallejo paints here.

My painting method was this:

The skin was painted with different colors per Nugling, including Camouflage Green, Dead Flesh, Beasty Brown, Skull White, Bronze Fleshtone, Dwarf Skin
, and Elf Skintone. Then, the horns and teeth were picked out with Skull White. Finally, certain bits were hit with Scar Red, Gory Red, Sunblast Yellow, Electric Blue, and Hexed Lichen. Then they were dipped using Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut Satin varnish. After drying overnight, they were hit with matte spray, and then the bases were painted with Charred Brown, dry brushed with Beasty Brown, and then the glue/slime areas were painted with Squid Pink and Scorpion Green (a Citadel Paint I have).

The slime areas were done with the glue method that is easy and effective. What you do is put down some plain old Elmer's white glue, and then put some Zap A Gap or other favorite super glue on top of it. I occasionally slightly touch it with a pin or other tool to mash it around a bit. After drying overnight, it turns into an awesome pox-ridden/
scabby/slime looking effect. I learned this from dvdhwk over at the Adeptus Arizona forums.

Here are the finished results! You can click on the images to see a very high-res image. I would love some creative criticism.